Wednesday, March 3, 2010

OAMC Day: Part 2...




Well, what I thought would take fifteen minutes to accomplish took a lot more time.  Not a good start *laugh*.  Oh well...I can't complain.  My daughter made me stop to play "doctor and patient" with her for a little while (why little kids find fake coughing so funny I will never know ;) and my son has been far from in a good mood today (he's teething, hasn't been sleeping well and had a full day yesterday...I THINK that's catching up with the little guy).

But, the German Black Bread is in the mixer bowl rising, the pizza crust is in the bread machine doing it's thing and the peach pie (pictured above) is in the oven. 

Here's the recipe I'm making for German Black Bread (otherwise known as "Old World Rye Bread" in the book I got it from).  Warning to all who make this...this stuff IS dark.  My husband loves it though, so I make it once in a while (it is very flavorfull :).  This is taken from World of Breads .  I love this book.  It's like one of my few "Bread Bible" types of books that I reach for when I want to bake bread :).

2 Cups Rye Flour
1/4 Cup Cocoa
2 Cakes Yeast or 2 envelopes yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup light Mollasses (I used dark)
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
2 tablespoons butter (I used softened)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat or white flour (I used whole wheat flour)

Combine the rye flour and cocoa (do not sift).  Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.  Combine the mollasses, the remaining water the salt and the caraway seeds in another bowl.  Add the rye flour and cocoa, the yeast mixture, the butter and 1 cup white or whole wheat flour.  Beat until dough is smooth.  Spread the reamaining flour on a breadboard and knead it into the dough.  Add more flour if necessary to make a firm dough that is smoooth and elastic.  Place in a buttered bowl, cover and let rise.  It will double in about two hours.  Punch dough down, shape into a round loaf and place on a buttered cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.  Let rise about 50 minutes.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.  Let cool on a cooling rack.

No comments: