Wednesday, March 3, 2010

OAMC Day: Update...

Well, the white bread is in the breadmaker, the pizza dough is resting in the fridge before I freeze it, the peach pie is on a plate in the freezer flash freezing away...and I figured out I made a huge flub up on the German Black Bread.  Okay, 2 1/4 teaspoons bulk yeast equals one cake of compressed yeast right?  So, why in all of my mind bogglingly bad math did I double that and get 2 1/2 teaspoons???  Ugh!  I figured it out when the dough wasn't rising after 1 1/2 hours.  Luckily, I'm a whiz when it comes to fixing my screw ups (I do them on a regular basis you know ;), so I dissolved 1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast in a little warm water, threw that in with the dough, remixed and added white bread flour until the dough was once again "bread dough".  I'm letting it rise (again) for another two hours.  Which, this time it's looking a lot more hopefull because the dough has risen some (yay!) after an hour.  So, I'll wait the two hours, do the second (or in this case third) rise and we'll see if the bread tastes okay.  Note to self:  Don't do math without full cup of coffee in stomach and helping brain to process information.

The kids decided to go down for a nap at the same time right when I was about 1/2 way through with the dishes, so I'm going to take a "break" so that I don't make a lot of noise to wake them up (I think I'll try to sweep the kitchen floor).  So, onto the next project!

No comments: