Friday, April 2, 2010

OAMC April: Day 1, Part 2...


Okay, as I suspected, things have been going SLOOOOOWWWW.  It took me all morning to get the kids out the door and to the bank, then when I got home it took me forever to drag my daughter out of the mud puddles (oh the humanity to her new sneakers!) and into the house.  It then took me another hour to get the kids calmed down (whoever created popsicles deserves tons of awards you know that?) and it took me another hour and half of juggling the kids to keep them occupied and trying to get my dishes done.  So, I finally started work an hour ago, really.  But, I have gotten some accomplished so far. 

I got the turkey "loaf" (really it's just a fully cooked boneless turkey, but whenever something is missing bones and I feel like it should have a "shape" to it...well I call it a loaf) out of the fridge and cut it up into different hunks.  I sliced some of it thin and turned that into turkey lunchmeat.  I then cut some of it into more substantial "hunks" and threw that in with some herbed marinade, made from different recipe ideas I got from a Graham Kerr cookbook I have.  I think it'll turn out okay...at least the marinade tasted good...it's a compilation of some fresh parsley, some white wine, a little lemon juice (since I had some left over from the cranberry glaze), powdered thyme, some poultry seasoning, some nutmeg, sage...and a couple of other things I sort of threw in but can't quite remember right now.  I threw it all into a blender with some olive oil, hit puree (or in my case just turned my mixer to high power) and in like three seconds, voila!  Instant marinade!  I completely spaced what I was doing when writing down the title on the bag so it reads "Tequila Lime Turkey" (it's the same color as a marinade I have on hand*sigh*....me?  Tired?  Yeah, just a tad).  I know that I'll know what it is when I go to cook it though, so I'm not too worried about that.

The cranberry glaze was off a recipe I got online.  I just revamped it a bit to use the entire can of cranberry sauce.  The recipe dance goes like this...

1 can cranberry sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I threw in about 1/2 tsp. lemon juice and the rest I used orange juice...I love cranberry and orange together :).

Heat ingredients together in small sauce pan until everything is melted and getting along.  Then mix in your cooked (or raw) turkey and then bag and tag.  I'm planning on using this in a dish my dad refers to as "turkey casserole", that he picked up from a single's group.  It's actually made to use up Thanksgiving leftovers.  You throw a box of stove top in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, put turkey and cranberry sauce (it's supposed to be different layers, but eh...like I care) on top of that, green beans on top of that, and then you top with mashed potatoes and gravy, bake in a 350 degree oven until heated through and voila!  Instant meal in one dish.  My dad says it's really good, so I figure one of these days I'll either get courageous enough to make it or at least I can make the cranberry turkey and make the sides for dinner one night *laugh*.

I then just mixed up some powdered gravy mix (what?  Don't give me "that look".  Yeah, I could have made my own gravy, but powdered is darn tasty!  I never claimed to be Martha Stewart!  Don't judge me! ;).  I'm going to use that to serve on top of toast for open hot turkey sandwiches one night or just make some mashed potatoes and some green beans and call it a meal one night.  Easy peazy.

And now I'm going to go and get myself a lovely beverage, enjoy the fact that my kids are down for a nap and bake some pizzas before my dough takes over the world (it's growing pretty darn fast I have to say).  Onto the next project!

No comments: