Monday, October 5, 2009

Alaska's Best Grocery Deals Foodstamp Challenge...

Well, the official rules of the "Alaska's Best Grocery Deals Foodstamp Challenge" are up. You can read them HERE.

Man, I would love to do this challenge, but the fact that I can't use any food I already have in the house/freezer may be what makes me not able to do it. I just can not afford to go out every week and buy meat, produce, milk, eggs and the whole shebang for the family. I'm on a super duper mega tight budget right now. I could try to do it just for me, but then I'd have to separate out transactions, which would require more time in line with cranky kids and really slow cashiers (at least that has been my luck lately). I will try and see what I can do to make this work, though, because I would LIKE to do it.

Anyway, I encourage you all to at least TRY this if you can afford to do it :-). I think it will be fun if you just give it a try. And remember...you can use the menu plan that I do every week as a "cheat sheet" for your family (and yes, I will work on maybe making one for one person those two weeks to give you a couple good ideas on what to buy).

So, read up and do your planning and let's all see how far we get! Good luck (well in advance anyway) to you all!

3 comments:

Jessica @ Alaska's Best Grocery Deals said...

Thanks!!! I hope you can make a go of it one week. Who knows if we get lucky and have super good sales you might only have to spend $20 to make it through the week!

Life in My Land said...

I was hoping to shop from home too. I'm thinking I'll do the challenge for 1 week for just myself and then unofficially participate the 2nd week with the family. For the 2nd week I plan to shop from the house. For instance I will deduct what I believe to be the cost of the item I use, $2.39 lb for ground beef, $1.39 for a loaf of generic bread, etc. I just can't see going out and buying oatmeal when I have it at the house. But I do want to participate. Good luck.

Erika, "The Make Do Homemaker" said...

My big thing is that I have to think on this. If I'm doing a "challenge" with just me involved I'd tend not to eat healthy (pop tarts, coffee...yeah that's basically my diet...very sad). If I do it for the family, I'd be more likely to do a completely balanced diet, but I can't afford to go out and buy all the groceries that are already in my house to make something...I don't know. I will have to think on this.