Monday, March 4, 2013

Fiestsa Ice Cream Sundaes (gluten, corn, peanut, dairy free option)



Okay, before you start e-mailing me and asking why I would share a nose bleed simple recipe like this one, don't blame me!  This recipe share is actually due to a nagging demand from my friend Carol who for some odd reason thinks this recipe is the best thing since the big bang when it comes to ice cream mixtures.  Now mind you, I think part of this stems from the fact that I developed this recipe for the poor woman as she's seven months pregnant, is allergic to corn and desperately wanted a pint of specialty ice cream to chow down on.  So, I made her this and she fell in love with it.  It's not my fault!

If you are just looking for a corn free ice cream, check at your local Safeway affiliate (if you have one) or Costco.  Safeway has an "Open Nature" line and their vanilla ice cream is corn free (woohoo for guar gum!) and peanut free.  Costco has an all natural vanilla ice cream that is corn free as well and I can get it at our local bulk store Three Bears for about the same price as the corn free ice cream at Safeway, but it actually comes in bigger containers.  So, do some looking.

This recipe was actually inspired by a dessert I used to buy at a local pastry shop back in Pennsylvania.  My sister and I'd go to the mall about once a month and make a beeline for the coffee shop and the pastry shop (guilty pleasures are like that).  It seemed like I'd always get the same two pastries.  I'd either get a slice of lemon cake, or I'd get these small little chocolate cups that had a vanilla cream in them with slices of candied cherries and some type of cookie in the mix.  I have no idea what they were called.  I'd just point and say, "Ooooooo!  I want that!"

So, when I thought of Carol wanting a special ice cream for her birthday, I went back to those days of decadent goodies and came up with this (minus the corn containing things like the candied cherries of course).

So, Carol, here you go.  I shared the recipe.  Now stop texting me about it ;).  Kidding.  Love you girlfriend!

Fiesta Ice Cream Sundaes (Corn, gluten, peanut, dairy free option)

  • 1 Pint Ice Cream, 2 Cups (for corn free options, see above.  Or, go with your favorite dairy free kind)
  • 1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut
  •  1/2 can dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped into small pieces (be sure to get corn free) or about 1/2 cup frozen cherries, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
First, toast your coconut.  Place coconut in a skillet over medium low heat, stirring often until the coconut starts to turn a lovely golden color and smells nutty.  Evacuate from the pan to a bowl pronto and let cool.

While the coconut is cooling is a good time to move your pint of ice cream to the counter (if you are using ice cream from a big container, remove two cups of ice cream to a medium mixing bowl for this) to let it soften.  You want it pretty soft so it'll mix easy.

Once the ice cream is softened, place all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl with the ice cream (if it's not already in said bowl) and mix together as gently as you can with a large wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients together.  Place in a freezer safe container and place back into freezer until the mixture is refrozen.
Best possible way in the universe to serve this?  As sundaes.  I love mine with some home made chocolate syrup on top and some more toasted coconut (as seen above).  As Carol would put it, "It's almost as good as Girl Scout cookies.  Almost."  *Laugh*.

Also, just a quick note.  If you have someone with fillings that are in so-so shape in the family?  Just thicken the home made chocolate syrup to an almost hot fudge consistency on the stove top when you make it (to make it like hot fudge) and than add that into the ice cream as you mix it up (don't let it get overly soft if you do that...just soft enough to mix).  Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips are tasty, but darned hard when frozen, so I don't want anyone to break a tooth.

Enjoy all!  I know Carol does ;).

No comments: