Monday, May 21, 2012

Super Yummy Oatless-nola Bars (Oat, peanut, gluten and corn free Granola Bars)

So, this is one of those recipes that you work on forever and FINALLY get it right.  I've been trying to come up with a oatless granola bar recipe for a while (not a small feat mind you) and finally worked out this one after taking into consideration every allergy my kids have.  And it turned out yummy, has LOTS of good for you things in it too...I'm not sure if they'd have enough protein to count as a protein bar, but I still say that they contain some good for you things in there (okay, so the chocolate was to bribe the kids to try it.  Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it *laugh*).

I actually am eating these a lot lately as they are a super easy gluten free breakfast to grab and go with (been busy lately to say the least).  And using the quinoa flakes they are pretty easy to digest compared to the lead ball effect that traditional granola bars have (at least to me...me and oatmeal have always sort of had a love-hate relationship).

Now to just convince my kids to eat them...



Super Yummy Oatless-nola Bars (Oat, peanut, gluten and corn free Granola Bars)
  • 1 3/4 Cups Quinoa Flakes
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or Palm Sugar
  • 1/3 cup almond flour (I use Honeyville)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup dried fruit(s) of your choice (I used craisins and figs)
  • 1 cup nuts of your choice (I used Blue Dimond Almonds as they're peanut free), chopped fine
  • 1/2 Cup Perky's Crunchy Flax cereal (you can also used puffed rice cereal)
  • 1/3 cup almond butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 6 Tbs. butter, melted or coconut oil (also melted)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 to 2 TBS Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  Line an 8×8 pan with foil or parchment paper (I used aluminum foil) and hit it with non-stick cooking spray (or just grease it, but be sure you grease it well).

3.  Stir dry ingredients together well.  Then, in another bowl whisk the  liquid ingredients together.

4.  Add the mixtures together (if the mixture is dry and sort of crumbly add a little bit of water until the mixture is sticky and sort of moist) and press it very firmly (note FIRMLY...this will help to keep the bars from falling apart on cutting later) into pan.

5.  Bake for 25-35 minutes. They will be browned on the edges and a little on top but seem soft if you touch the center.  Let cool completely before cutting.  Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container for about a week and then transfer to freezer.

Enjoy all!  I know I am :).


No comments: