Sunday, March 17, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Dressing/Dip/Sauce (gluten, garlic, corn, dairy, tomato, nut, soy free, vegan)



Okayyyyy, I'll admit it.  I totally spaced St. Patrick's Day was today.  I've been busy potty training my son (which is going really good by the way) and just spaced what day it was.  Thank goodness I'm wearing green or I think my grandmother would reach bodily through the phone and throttle me the next time I talk to her *laugh*.

Anyway, I had plans to share a recipe for a mint ice cream concoction, but since today is the big day and I have nothing prepared (man, does that bring back old school nightmares), I figure I'll share with you a recipe for a sauce that can be used as a salad dressing, a dip for chips (if you could use corn chips...man this would taste great with those I think), or a pasta sauce.  You can even use it as a condiment on sandwiches with a portobello burger and it tastes pretty darned awesome.  And before you ask, yes, I've used this sauce in all the different ways I've mentioned above.

So, here you go folks.  A versatile recipe that won't let you down, is darned tasty and makes an excellent accompaniment to a variety of meals.

Roasted Red Pepper Dressing/Dip/Sauce (gluten, garlic, corn, dairy, tomato, nut, soy free, vegan)

  • 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained
  • Juice of 1/2 an orange (about 3 TBS)
  • 2 to 3 tsp. honey (depending on sweetness level desired)
  • 1 sm. fennel frond (optional.  I used it in the dressing recipe seen because I had it)
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. dried mustard powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Place all items in a food processor and pulse until smooth and sauce-like.  Use as a condiment, salad dressing (as seen here), pasta sauce, or a dip for chips or crackers.  If you can do dairy I bet this stuff would be a GREAT addition to cream cheese as a dip to help get your kids to eat their veggies too...just saying :).

Enjoy and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: