Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Week of Chicken Meal Six (and Seven): Chicken Taco Meat With Easy Black Bean Salsa Salad (gluten, garlic, corn free)

The meat is corn free, not the corn taco shells.
And so, to round out our week of chicken I figured I'd make something tried and true on day six, since day seven was going to be using up what the left overs that we hadn't eaten at lunch (and yes, we did eat the leftovers for lunch too *laugh*).  Tacos.  I'd never really made chicken tacos since I'd gotten married over a decade ago, but I used to make them all the time when I was a teen, so I knew quite well how to make them and that they would be tasty.

About the only thing I did was take the leftover chicken I had left, shredded it off the bone and then heated it up in a pan with a couple of tablespoons of water and about 3 TBS of home made taco seasoning for about 7 minutes until it was heated through and tasting of wonderful taco meat.  Easy Peazy.  The rest of the taco magic, I knew, was in the toppings and side dishes.  So, I put out home made flour tortillas for the kids, corn taco shells for me (since those are out for the kids with the corn in there) and let my husband pick whichever one of those he wanted and then I put out black olives, home made picante sauce (a ball recipe for salsa that I cut the garlic out of and it turned out to make a good picante sauce, but a so-so salsa), corn free sour cream, etc and let everyone choose what they wanted to place on top of the tacos.

I thought of making Spanish rice for a side dish, but we wanted the rice for the leftover gumbo and my husband sort of acted not enthused with the idea.  So, I went down into my pantry and looked around, picked out some things and made up this salsa/salad (it really does double duty).   And get this, it tastes good AND it's easy to put together (always a plus).
Also a quick tip.  This stuff works great as a layer in a layered taco salad.



Easy Black Bean Salsa Salad (gluten, garlic, corn free)
  • 1 Can Eden's Organic Diced Tomatoes (15 oz)
  • 1 Can Black Beans
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. home made taco seasoning
  • 1 small red onion, diced (or 1/2 of a large onion)
  • 3 TBS lime juice
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Cheyenne Pepper to taste (optional)
Drain and rinse black beans and place in bowl.  Drain tomatoes and place with beans.  Add rest of the ingredients and toss with a teaspoon to combine everything together well.  Place in fridge for 20 minutes or so, if you wish, to meld the flavors, although you can serve it immediately without much loss of flavor.
Enjoy!

No comments: