Wednesday, May 2, 2012

DIY Worcestershire Sauce Recipe (Garlic, Corn and Refined Sugar Free)

So, here is one recipe that I've been working on pretty much since my son got diagnosed with the garlic allergy.  Worcestershire Sauce is in everything and unfortunately has that dreaded garlic in it.  And, it turns out, it is NOT easy to make as it contains pretty much everything but the kitchen sink.  So, I started making sauces and messing with recipes.  I found a lot of them that just plain didn't work, like one I tried and it turned out tasting like sweet pickle relish (not bad, in itself as I can use the juice for when something calls for a little sweet pickle relish for the taste, but it was NOT exactly what I was going for), but it took me a while to get this formula right.  Now, if you want this to be TRULY right, add 1/4 cup of tamarind extract, only use 1/4 cup honey and leave out the lemon juice (I subbed for the tamarind extract due to not knowing exactly what allergens could be in it.  It's a date extract, so it would add a bit of depth of flavor that the recipe would lack.  I used lemon juice and honey to create the "sweet and sour" type of taste that the tamarind description stated).

So, here you guys go.  Worcestershire Sauce you can make yourself!  Enjoy!

Worcestershire Sauce (Garlic and Refined Sugar Free)

  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1⁄2 cup molasses (Grandma's Mollases and Brer Rabbit Mollases are the most likely to be corn free options.  You could also use brown rice syrup if you wish).
  • 1⁄2 cup gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
  • 3 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds (you can also use black)
  • 3 tbsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. whole black peppercorn
  • 1 tsp. whole cloves
  • 1⁄2 tsp. tumeric
  • 1 tsp. cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp. chile powder
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1  tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 anchovy, chopped
  • 1 sm. onion, minced
  • 1 TBS lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. ginger
  • 1⁄3 cup honey

 1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Simmer for 15 minutes.

2. Pour into quart mason jar.  Refrigerate, covered, for 3 weeks; strain to remove solids; return to jar. Refrigerate for up to 8 months.

2 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Wow, Erika! I'm impressed! This will help so many. I love that it's sugar free and so healthy, plus that it will keep so long! :-)

Thank you!
Shirley

Erika, "The Make Do Homemaker" said...

Wow! Thanks, Shirley :). Coming from you that means a lot!

I feel good that I'm finally starting to get the hang of all the food allergies and finally able to COOK again without so much fear of doing something totally wrong. It's like going back to school. At first you're terrified of failing a test and then you realize that there's this thing called extra credit if you totally mess up (I figure that I count my force of will to get things right as "extra credit" ;).

I'm learning more every day from people like you (you're blog and Facebook page are constant inspirations for me). Thanks again for stopping by!