Monday, April 22, 2013

The Return of the Bulb: Garlic and Herb Rubbed Steak (gluten, dairy, egg, soy, nut, other things free)


 I know it's been sort of a lapse in posting here the last couple of weeks.  I've been busy with different things (I won't bore you with the details), but one thing has remained constant.  I am LOVING on garlic so much right now it's almost sad.  Almost.

So, I thought I'd share one of my tried, true and so simple it'll astound you recipes to rub on your next steak.  This also goes good with chicken and lamb.  If you can't do garlic, I'd try this with shallot, but I'd add maybe a teeny weeny bit of red pepper flake to the mix to get that slight background heat in there if you want it.

So, here you go.  Enjoy folks!

Garlic and Herb Rubbed Steaks (gluten, dairy, egg, soy, nut, other things free)

  • 6 cloves of garlic, peeled (just give them a good whack with a meat tenderizer and then then peel will fall right off...I actually use a piece of marble to peel my garlic.  Super easy)
  • About 2 Cups fresh herbs of choice (I usually use a combo of parsley, basil and thyme for this). 
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Place the garlic and herbs in food processor and pulse a few times then slowly add olive oil until mixture turns into a paste (it won't take very long).  If using basil be sure to add it last and then pulse minimally so you don't overwork it (I'll even just add dried basil a lot to avoid over bruising the tender fresh herb). You can also mince the herbs fine with a knife and then mash the garlic and use some salt to smear the garlic into a paste with the side of your knife, but I try to use the food processor to cut down on the sodium.

Rub paste on your steaks on both sides and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Broil for about 3 minutes per side or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees.  Let meat rest for five to ten minutes before serving.
Feel free to add more garlic for a more "garlicky" flavor.  I've been trying to not go too crazy with heavy garlic yet as we haven't had it in so long.  Makes enough to cover 2 to 4 steaks, depending on size of steak and how thick you put it on. 

Enjoy!

No comments: