Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tuna-licious Cat Treats (gluten, corn, dairy, other things free)


So, my daughter decided at the last minute that I "had to make something for Ginger" this holiday season. 

Ginger, by the way, is our cat. 

Honestly there is no love lost between Ginger and I.  To put it bluntly, while I do take care of the cat, clean up after her, make sure that her box is nice and clean and she gets her share of wet cat food goodies...she hates my guts.  The only person Ginger likes is my husband and in the 10  years we've had her it's always been like that.  I have become convinced over the years that she considers my husband as "hers" and that I am in her way to having 100% of his affection.  So, this led to many years of her having a grudge against my bare ankles and why she takes swipes at me whenever I get near my bedroom (which she considers to be her territory).

So, the prospect of making something for an ungrateful little shmuck of a cat wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, but when your daughter bats her bright brown eyes at you and says please in a wheedling tone, you know you're doomed. 

I decided that if I was going to be roped into making treats for the cat that I could at least make them allergy friendly to the gluten intolerant out there and make them as allergy friendly as I could.  And all the while making them easy...because honestly I didn't want to expend a great amount of time, effort and expense on our cat (and, actually, I am a cat person and usually love the critters.  My cat just doesn't love me *laugh*).

So, here you go folks!  One very easy to make cat treat recipe that makes a pretty decent amount, my cat seemed to enjoy and has a decent amount of nutrition in it.  Just make sure that this recipe is right for your cat before you feed it to them.  I know my cat tolerates tuna (you could also use salmon, but while my cat loves it it doesn't love her, so I went with tuna), rice and eggs well, but if yours doesn't I'd look for another recipe elsewhere.
Gluten Free Tuna-Licious Cat Treats (gluten, corn, dairy free)

  • 1/2 to 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 Can tuna in water (you can also use a 5 oz. can of salmon as well)
  • 1 TBS mashed squash (I used home made pumpkin puree.  You can omit this if you want.  I added it for added nutrition and to help fight hair balls)
  • 2 tsp. dried catnip (or you could use a few drops of liquid catnip extract if you have it)
  • 1 egg
Combine all items in a bowl and mix until a soft dough forms...add brown rice flour as needed until it all comes together.

Take a piece of parchment paper and spread it over a cookie sheet and spray with grease of choice until liberally coated.

Turn dough out onto parchment paper and using your hands shape into a rectangular-like shape that is about 1/8 of an inch thick.  Take a pizza cutter and cut dough into squares 1/4 inch in diameter at most (you want cat bite sized pieces remember), but don't separate the dough squares (you're scoring the dough to break along those lines after it's baked). 

Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the treats are hard to the touch on the surface and the edges are golden.

Let cool on cookie sheet until completely cool and then break cat treats along the lines you cut earlier (it should be pretty easy).  Store in a container in your fridge until ready to use.  You can also store in your freezer, but be sure to defrost before feeding them to your pet.  Makes about 8 to 9 dozen cat treats.
Enjoy!

No comments: