Monday, January 16, 2012

Recipe Share: Frozen Yogurt Recipes

Thanks to 101 Cookbooks for use of the image.
I was going to do this in separate posts, but...eh...I think it's easier to do it this way as I used a base recipe for the vanilla frozen yogurt I made anyway :).  By the way, the vanilla frozen yogurt is AWESOME on it's own so be sure to try that before you do anything else.

Want to make this recipe but don't want to pay a mint for greek style yogurt?  Use this trick.  Take regular plain yogurt.  Put a wire mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth, some coffee filters or a (very clean) kitchen towel over a bowl.  Pour your yogurt into the strainer and then place your yogurt with your "catch bowl" in your fridge for 6 hours or longer (honestly I usually do this overnight and pull it out in the morning).  You'll come back to nice thick creamy greek-style yogurt that works well in this recipe or as a sour cream substitute (try it on baked potatoes...it'll rock your world!).

So, now that you have your yogurt go HERE where 101 Cookbooks shows you how to make a very very kicking vanilla frozen yogurt.

Then, to mix it up a bit do like I did (use your imagination on this one)...

Peach Frozen Yogurt
  • 1 Recipe Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
  • 1 Cup canned peaches, mushed into oblivion or pureed (I just mashed the heck out of mine with a fork until it was the right consistency for me :).
  • About 3 TBS peach juice (from can, or in my case from canning jar)
Freeze and process according to your ice cream maker directions and either enjoy straight out of the maker (which turns into a soft serve consistency) or freeze (turns a bit harder than ice cream but still scoopable).  I'm loving on some of the peach frozen yogurt I made right now :).

Enjoy!

No comments: