Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Can It: Macadamia Nut Pancake Syrup

First I apologize for the odd quality to the photo.  My camera was not being kind to me.

This is for my friend, Megan, who showed an interest in this when I mentioned I'd made it on Facebook AGES ago.

And yes, those are real macadamia nuts.  I got them for a great price off of E-bay :).  1 lb of nuts cost me like 10.00 shipped, which sure beats the what, 6.00 for 2 oz. or whatever they go for now.

I wanted to make a special syrup one day to go with "tropical pancakes" (okay, so pancakes made with a bit of coconut flavoring for a "tropical taste" to them...by the way they were yummy *laugh*) and saw the macadamia nuts in my freezer.  And so, I came to the brilliant (at least I like to think so ;) idea of combining the macadamia nuts with a traditional praline syrup recipe and canning it for future gifts and/or use.

Now, if you don't WANT to shell out the money on macadamia nuts...well it's your loss, but you can use pecans or even walnuts in this to make different praline-like syrups and they would all taste just peachy with this as the syrup takes on the taste of the nuts you put into it.

Macadamia Nut Praline-like Maple Syrup (adapted from Praline Syrup from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving)...I note what I changed in parenthesis.
  • 2 Cups Dark Corn Syrup (I used maple syrup...so didn't want the corn syrup in there sorry to say)
  • 1/2 Cup Water (omit if using maple syrup since it has more water than corn syrup...just trust me on this!)
  • 1/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar (I'd think sucanat would work just fine)
  • 1 Cup Macadamia Nut Pieces (or in my case mainly whole ones since I was lazy, which also led me to getting more "syrup" then the recipe called for after the fact...oops) or other nut pieces
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp maple flavoring (if using maple syrup)
1.  Prepare canner, jars and lids.

2.  In a stainless steel saucepan combine corn syrup (maple syrup), water (omitted if using maple syrup) and sugar.  Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.  Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.  Reduce heat and stir in nuts and extract (s).  Boil gently, stirring constantly (or it WILL burn) for 5 minutes.

3.  Ladle hot syrup into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe rim.  Center lid on jar.  Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to finger-tip tight.

4.  Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water.  Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat (take of canner lid if you had it on) and let sit an additional 5 minutes.  Remove jars, cool and store.

And by the way this stuff is AWESOME!  I love my macadamia maple syrup.  Yum!  Although, honestly if I was going to do it over again I'd DEFINITELY chop up the nuts if I were you...it sure makes life easier (I always end up chopping mine up with my pancake *laugh*.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

bookladydavina said...

ooh i'm gonna have to try this.. normally i just stick to the fruit syrups, esp blueberry (it goes great as a marinade/reduction for roasts as well as on pancakes..) but this looks yummy. and i've got a big can of nuts sitting in the pantry just waiting for something like this..

Erika @ Those Who Help Themselves said...

Oh I love the fruit syrups too! Blueberry really is awesome stuff isn't it? Good luck and I hope you like it :).