Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Home Made Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe that Actually Tastes GOOD!

Image Courtesy of Google

Okay, so it's a long subject line, but seriously, I made this last week when we were all down with colds because we ran out of hot chocolate and I didn't want to run to the store to buy some.  My husband found this recipe in my recipe book "Good Eats:  The Early Years" and asked if I could try making it.  I have been VASTLY disappointed in home made hot cocoa mix recipes as all of the ones I've tried in the past have tasted like dehydrated milk when you make them (I grew up on the stuff and am not a fan I'm sorry to say), so I had more than a few doubts when I made this stuff up.  I mean I, for the most part, love Alton Brown's recipes, but I just figured that home made hot cocoa mix just plain doesn't taste good.  But you know what?  This stuff was GOOD!  I'd definitely recommend making it if you want some good quality hot cocoa mix that you know what is in it (and yes it tastes like chocolate, not dehydrated milk :). 

My only advice?  When you make this stuff make it with milk, not water.  It tastes pretty bland with water, but tastes great with the milk in it.  Also, be sure to keep your cheyene pepper to a pinch and do NOT omit it (from what reviewers on foodtv.com said it sort of somehow makes the recipe :).

I just thought people might be interested in a good recipe for this stuff since the cold weather is coming quick with snow soon to follow, and hot cocoa goes hand and hand with cold weather as far as I'm concerned.

Go HERE to check it out.

Enjoy all!

2 comments:

Life in My Land said...

Sounds good. I love making cocoa cones for Christmas gifts. We add cocoa, mint chips, and marshmellows to a Wilton's decorating bag (the disposable clear ones), add a bow and it makes a great teachers gift or gift for a friend. Perfect for the under $10 gifts. I think I will try making this and see if I can use it for the gifts. Last year I got a bunch of free or nearly free Target cocoa but I doubt I'll get that this year with the way Target has been lately.

Alaskan Bargain Hunter said...

I know. I ran into the same issue as well. I'd LOVE to get more free cocoa, but I'm not seeing it with the way Target's prices have like tripled combined with the whole coupon-misappropriation fiasco.

I love making the cocoa kits too. I make home made marshmallows (always a HUUUUUUUGGGGEEE hit with family and friends) and just put them into a baggie on top of the cocoa (they can get pretty sticky :). You want people to love you forever, dip the marshmallows in chocolate covering and then put it in the cocoa kit. I thought my sister-in-law was going to hug the stuffing out of me when she tried that combo *laugh*.