Wednesday, May 5, 2010

OAMC May: Finishing up the list...

So, I ended up getting more done than I planned on during this OAMC, but at least I'm almost done.  The only thing I have left to do today (if I want) is the tomato soup and the rice.  I need to check and see how many jars I have left before I get too excited about jarring up the soup, so I'll let you know if I get that far.  I'll also write down the recipe for the peanut butter cookies later today.  I've still got the weekly deals to do (which I'm just going to do highlights this week due to time constraints) and lots of home types of things to do.  So, let's light this candle! 

The beef stew is easy to make.  It takes:

1 medium package of stew beef (about like 1 to 1 1/2 pounds I'd say)
2 cartons beef broth (32 oz.) or 32 oz. home made beef stock (I used the Pacific Natural foods for this stew...I really like the robust flavor of it)
1 turnip (peeled and diced)
2 medium carrots (chopped)
2 stalks celery (diced)
2 yukon gold potatoes (I just leave the skins on and chop them into bite sized chunks)
Any other veggies you might want.
1/3 cup barley (about)
About 3 heaping tablespoons of grill seasoning
2 heaping tablespoons of Italian Herb Mixture
2 palm fulls of salt (yes I know it seems like a lot of salt, but the potatoes and the barley will leach the salt from your broth really fast...worse comes to worse lower the salt level and re-season before the soup is ready to serve and/or can...I always do this anyway...the salt and seasonings are approximate so just go with what tastes good to you)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
3 bay Leaves (mine were small so I used 3)
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
2 tablespoons dried rosemary (I use the leaves so if you are using ground, don't use half this much)

Okay, here's the hard part.  Throw it all into the crockpot, stir up until mixed and let cook on high for 6 hours and then switch to low until ready to jar.  I love soup for ease of cooking :).

So, anyhow, what did I get done (other than the beef stew of course) this time around?  I've struck through everything on my list I got done (and added the few things I ended up putting on as additions to said list).

OAMC May Master List
Not bad if I do say so myself.  My son loves the chocolate chip bar cookies (he's never had much of a sweet tooth so I was surprised) and my husband is quickly going through the peanut butter cookies (which makes me laugh I have to say =).  And now, onto the rest of my day.

No comments: